A personal budget is an allocation of money that you use to pay for the care and support needs detailed in your support and assessment plan. This is paid to you by us, depending on your financial circumstances.
Following a social care assessment it is identified that you have eligible needs for care and support that we can meet, we will work with you, and your family/friends to produce an assessment and support plan. The assessment and support plan may include free and paid for social care services.
To see if you qualify for funding and a personal budget you will need to complete a financial assessment
A personal budget can be paid to you as:

Managed Account

You can ask us or another third party to manage the budget for you and use it to pay for the support that you have chosen. You can also take part of your budget as a direct payment and the rest as a managed account. 

Continuing Healthcare - Personal Health Budgets

"Personal Health Budgets are accessed through the Continuing Care (Children under 18 years of age) and Continuing Health Care (Adults - from 18th birthday) for children, young people and adults with complex long term health needs that can not be met by the existing universal and specialist service alone. Please follow this link for further information: Continuing Healthcare (CHC) - Dudley Integrated Health and Care NHS (dihc.nhs.uk)

Frequently asked questions

What if I want to have a personal budget and still use the services I already receive?

You can choose to take a personal budget and use it to pay for the services you already receive – this would be a managed personal budget. You just need to know how much money you have to spend and what you would like to do with the money.

What is the difference between an 'individual budget' and a 'personal budget'?

We refer to money that you receive from us as a 'personal budget', whereas an individual budget is money that can be made from other income streams including: 

  • Adult Social Care personal budget
  • Access to work 
  • Disabled facilities grant
  • Other funding sources

How often will I be paid?

Your personal budget will be paid, in arrears, as a direct payment in four-weekly instalments. There are 13 payments in each financial year. The payment will be made directly to your or your agreed ‘suitable person’s bank account.

Can I employ family and friends?

You can only employ family and friends if they do not live in the same house as you. 

Will you want to know what I am doing with my money?

Yes, you will have to provide us with information about how you spend your money, this is usually on an annual basis and may include:

  • bank statements 
  • receipts
  • wage slips - if you employ your own staff
  • information on how you have spent your money 
  • more information if your social worker thinks you need more support to manage your budget

As a personal budget holder you have certain responsibilities to those who you employ. You will be charged if you do not use the services you have arranged, subject to the following periods of notice to cancel services provided by us:

  • homecare - 24 hours
  • day care - two weeks
  • respite - two weeks

Any agreed spend through your support plan will be left in your account from one financial year to another. If this amount exceeds eight weeks money, the council will check the amount left and review your budget, following which a reassessment of your need may be required. 

I am working - will this affect my funding?

No. Your personal budget will be the same whether you are working or not. However, your earnings may affect the contribution you are asked to make towards the cost of your support.

Will my benefits be affected?

No. Any funding you receive as part of your personal budget is for your social care support and is not treated as a benefit or as income.

what if a personal budget does not work out for me?

If you are not happy about how your support plan is working, you or your social worker can talk to us/the service provider directly or we can put you in touch with an independent advocate. 

You can stop using your personal budget at any time. We will try to arrange alternative care services to meet your needs if a personal budget is not suitable.

If I employ staff do they need to be Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checked?

Yes if there are any children under the age of 16 in the household. If there are any vulnerable adults involved it is strongly recommended that you complete a CRB check too. 

Did you find this page useful?

Let us know how we can improve our online service

Accessibility Menu (Ctrl + U)

This Website Uses Cookies

Our website uses cookies. By continuing, we assume your permission to deploy cookies as detailed in our Cookie Policy. Alternatively, select Manage Cookies to learn more about how we use cookies and customise your options.

Manage Cookie Options

About Cookies
Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user's experience more efficient. The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies we need your permission.

This site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages. You can at any time change or withdraw your consent from the Cookie Declaration on our website.

Learn more about who we are, how you can contact us, and how we process personal data in our Privacy Policy. Please state your consent ID and date when you contact us regarding your consent.
How we use Cookies
We use cookies to track and analyse traffic. We share information about your use of our system. Our analytics partners may combine it with other information that you've provided to them, or that they've collected from your use of their services. We also use cookies for a variety of website functions listed below in more detail.
Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.
Cookies used for functional website use
Some pages may contain content from other sites, like Youtube videos, with may set their own cookies.
Analytics & Measurement
We use Google Analytics to measure how you use the website so we can improve it based on user needs. We do not allow Google to use or share the data about how you use this site. Google Analytics sets cookies that store anonymised information about: how you got to the site; the pages you visit on this site; and how long you spend on each page and what you click on while using the site.
Third Party Services
X (Twitter) services use cookies and other similar technologies, such as pixels or local storage to help provide you with a better, faster, and safer experience. Twitter uses cookies to see how you interact with our services, such as when and how often you use them and what links you click on.

That feature is only available to logged in users.

Please login to your account or register for an account if you don't already have one.


Are you sure?

This will inform the administrators that you
wish for your listing to be deleted.

The listing will disappear from your user area once the administrators have reviewed it.

Any pending revisions will also be removed.